Initial Teacher Training
The Wellington College Teaching School Partnership (WCTSP) is supported in the provision of Initial Teacher Training (ITT) by its partners via School Direct, the school-led route into teaching .
111 teachers have been trained In the first three years of schools offering School Direct.
The School-Based Route into Teaching
If you are looking for a career in teaching and you have a degree you can apply for one of our School Direct places. These positions are a great way to have your training supported by experienced teachers as you will be placed directly with one of our schools. Success in your training may help you find a job in one of our partner schools as a Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT).
These programmes are generally full-time (in line with the school term dates) and last for one year. For a large part of the year you will be placed with your main school, and as with the traditional university based route into teaching , the training includes lectures, tutorials and seminars with one of our accredited universities: either the University of Reading , University of Oxford or the Open University depending on the subject you are applying for. A second placement in another school within the partnership group of schools (that you are recruited by) will take place later in the year.
All courses lead to a QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) recommendation and many also lead to a PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education) qualification. There are two School Direct training options:
School Direct Training Programme (fee based)
- The majority of our positions fall into this category.
- These places are for high-quality graduates who would like to train to be a teacher in one of our schools.
- Although placed in a school, you are not an employee but a trainee, following a programme similar to that in Universities.
- You’ll pay fees but may be eligible for a tax-free bursary of up to £30,000. Scholarships are available in some subjects worth up to £30,000
School Direct Training Programme (salaried)
- This is an employment-based route for high-quality experienced graduates.
- You will have at least three years’ work experience.
- You are employed directly by one of our schools as an unqualified teacher.
- You will earn a salary while you train.
- You don’t have to pay tuition fees.
Wokingham Secondary Federation’s availability of places for 2020-21.
A group of our partner schools in the Wokingham area in Berkshire operate together as the Wokingham Secondary Federation. These schools offer outstanding opportunities in initial teacher training in a wide range of subjects.
The table below shows the School Direct positions available. For the most up-to-date list of availability, please visit the Wokingham Secondary Federation website.
|Computer Science||4||Reading University||PGCE|
|Design & Technology||3||Reading University||PGCE|
|Salaried English||4||Reading University||QTS*|
|Religious Education||5||Oxford University||PGCE|